Wednesday, January 24, 2024

Bulking up meals - Mac & cheese

Hi everyone

Sorry, no stockpiling items for this week. Pickings are slim. I only see the 8lb oranges for $4.99 at Kroger.

Since there's not much we can do about the never ending rising grocery prices, I figured I'd share some recipe or ideas on bulking up or stretching meals. I'm also going to try and share some recipe ideas for using up food, in order to reduce food waste. I know that many people are opting for one meatless night per week in order to save some money. Some of my recipes or ideas might include meat, but meat will be optional. The great thing about food is that you can play around with different ingredients, to create a meal that suits your needs or taste. 

For many years, I've added extra veggies to some meals. I did it so that it's easier for us to eat more veggies, without really trying. This is also a great way to hide veggies from picky eaters. Thankfully, DS eats everything, so I don't have that problem. I'm the picky eater, but since I'm the resident chef, I get to decide what goes 😂

Many years ago, an ex colleague cooked some mac & cheese while she visited me one weekend. It was so good, that I've been making my mac & cheese the same way ever since. 

Since we all cook mac & cheese (I don't eat box mac & cheese) differently, I'm not going to post the recipe. I'm just going to list the add-on ingredients. 

Ingredients

1 Onion

Container fresh mushrooms (canned will work too)

Diced red pepper (or any color pepper)

1 Tomato

Diced ham or any other meat of choice. Not every type of meat works, but I'm sure you'll figure it out 😊 

Sauté diced onions, peppers & mushrooms. Add everything including diced ham to your macaroni mix. Top with extra cheese and tomato slices & bake. 

South Africans like to top our mac with sliced tomato, so this is optional. You can add any veggies of choice to your mac. This is just what I like to use. You can also roast your veggies of choice and add it to your mac & cheese. 

Don't sauté mushrooms if you're using canned mushrooms. Just dice it into smaller pieces and add to your mix. 

You now have a mac & cheese meal. Just add a side salad & dinner is served. 

Bon Appetit peeps!




6 comments:

  1. I am always looking for ways to bulk up the veggies in dishes so we get enough. I like to cook up beef or chicken sausage with peppers and onions and broccoli to add to mac and cheese. I love the left overs for lunch the next day. It's always so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yummy, I have to try the chicken sausage next time. Onions, peppers & mushrooms are my staples to add to meals. I cook my broccoli separately, because I've learned that it doesn't stay as fresh as long as the rest of the food. I always have different colored peppers on hand. Yes, to lunch leftovers! I like not having to fix myself a meal for lunch. I just heat & eat...lol

      Delete
  2. Yum, that sounds delicious. If I make a package of ramen soup, I always add a can of mixed vegetables to it for added nutrients.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do the same Belinda. I like to add some extra veggies to most meals. t's either veggies or a salad. Got to get our nutrients.

      Delete
  3. I have added ham and veggies to mac and cheese mostly when the boys were small. Not so much now, but now I think I may have to try this once again.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good Jackie! I haven't made mac & cheese in a long time, but I have ham to use up.

      Delete

Aldi for the win & Wags grrrrr!

Hi everyone It's been another crazy week! I've had 2 days of back to back errands. Yesterday included the dreaded dentist & erra...