Monday, January 22, 2024

Menu Plan Monday 01/22/24

Happy Monday everyone!

We had another productive cooking day. We were in the zone again and DS was, once again, very helpful. He's happy when I make his favorites, so he doesn't mind helping with cooking 😂 I should try that every week so he can help with the cooking 😂Here's what's on the menu for this week.

Monday : Chicken roll, green bean casserole, salad

Tuesday : Cabbage stir fry & brown rice

Wednesday : Same as Monday

Thursday : Same as Tuesday

Friday : Carry out 

Saturday : Red Robin - maybe

Breakfasts : Lemon blueberry muffins, eggs or omelets, breakfast sausage, toast, cereal

Lunch : Leftovers or protein from freezer with salad

Dessert : Still no dessert - there's still pumpkin pie & holiday cookies in the freezer if we ever want dessert

There's always a large variety of fresh fruit, veggies & salad fixings available

I tried something new. Cabbage stir fry. I don't even know what to call it, so I just gave it that name 😂 A long time ago, Thrifty mom posted a recipe for ground beef, cabbage mix and I told her that I make something similar with smoked sausage and cabbage - pan fried. So this weekend, I decide to try something similar to what she made. 

Ground beef

Bag of coleslaw

1 Onion

Garlic

Stir fry sauce

Cook ground beef and drain fat. Sauté onion and add garlic, coleslaw, ground beef and stir fry sauce. Simmer approximately 10-20 minutes. Season to taste. 

I couldn't remember her exact recipe, so I made it my own way. The stir fry sauce was totally my idea. I know she added soy sauce and I can't remember what else, but I needed something to add flavor. I also added more chopped cabbage, because that coleslaw bag cooks down fast. Next time I'll add fresh ginger too. I was out of ginger and I don't like adding the powder to my meals. I use it for baking only. 

Here's the recipe I normally make

Smoked or andouille sausage

Onion

Can tomatoes

Garlic

Cabbage

Slice and fry sausage. Remove from pan. Sauté onion and add garlic, canned tomatoes, sausage, cabbage & cook until cabbage is tender. Season to taste.

Both taste great and if you're low carbing, this recipe is for you. It's a quick & easy meal. Serve it with rice or mashed potatoes.





I made some 'sausage rolls' for DS. Not the real sausage roll (I need to buy meat and make some). It's just a hot dog (we use the OM Smokies for the flavour), cheese & jalapeno, wrapped in puff pastry. He loves it! I'm just here for the puff pastry 😂

I made green bean casserole to use up some French's onions. I also prepped our salad fixings and made applesauce. 

DS had the last pancake yesterday and I'm out of pancake mix.  I need to buy another box. I just noticed that I'm out of CFA sauce too. The horror 😂 I need my CFA sauce!

I started adding plain greek yogurt to my muffins for a little extra protein. I figured that if you can bake with sour cream, then you can bake with plain yogurt too, since it's the perfect substitute for sour cream. And it works! Don't be fooled by the look of those muffins. They're not the prettiest, but they taste so good and it's light & fluffy on the inside. I used a whole container of blueberries, because I wanted it to pack a punch. It did not disappoint. 

We did very well with eating at home this weekend. My body's loving it & DS didn't even miss it. Well, he's getting a treat next weekend, because I already have gcs, Duh! The food's already paid for.  However, I was thinking that I should probably do Friday night carry out one week + Saturday homemade dinner. Then Friday night homemade dinner the next week and RR or whatever restaurant the Saturday. That way he still gets a 'meal out' every weekend. Something to think about. 

Bon Appetit peeps! Have a wonderful week. 

2 comments:

  1. Your meals sound lovely and the not sausage rolls is probably something my husband would enjoy. I might have to give those a try the next time I pull out hot dogs to use for a meal.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Aldi for the win & Wags grrrrr!

Hi everyone It's been another crazy week! I've had 2 days of back to back errands. Yesterday included the dreaded dentist & erra...