Saturday, February 3, 2024

Last night's dinner - Taco boats with black bean avocado salad

My apologies to Belinda who's been waiting on this recipe 😊 I'm utterly exhausted. I woke up extra early all week long (3 am, 4am, 5am). By Thursday I just felt worn out. Yesterday I felt better, but had to run errands (and it was one of those 'let's just see how much crap Ms Gee can take'😂 days - more on that next time). By 8pm I was in my jammies ready to binge watch one of my favorite shows. Well, guess who fell asleep about 20 minutes in? When I woke up, it was 10pm. So I checked that DS went to bed, then got some fries and back to my show. I finally called it a night by 12:30pm. Then I woke up at 5:30am. Grrr. My body clearly didn't get the memo that it's weekend so I can sleep late. So I'm gonna try that binge watching, early night again after this post. 



On to the recipe. I found this avocado salad recipe years ago (this is a new one, but the ingredients are the same) and used to make it all the time. It's so yummy, healthy and easy to fix. What you'll need besides the salad

  • Old El Paso soft taco boats 

  • Taco meat (beef or chicken)  - I'm not posting the details, cause taco meat is easy cook, although I add my own extras

  • Cheese 

  • Sour cream (definitely optional)

Add cooked taco meat to boat, top with cheese and nuke (microwave). Then top with black bean salad and enjoy. Easy peasy. 

I don't add sour cream, because I don't want anything else to mess with the salad's flavor.

I prefer the taco boat, because the taco shells don't hold much filling (only reason why I'm not crazy about corn tacos) and/or the shells break easily.

You can double or triple the recipe if you have a large crowd to serve. I just use the regular recipe (it's just DS & me), because avocados don't remain fresh too long. I can easily make another batch after a few days. 

I love this salad! There's so many ways to use it

  • Serve it on the side with quesadillas or burritos

  • Top your grilled chicken or beef  with it - I'd use fajita seasoning on the chicken

  • Or just serve it with tortilla chips

I'll be using regular tortillas for the leftover filling, since we're out of taco boats. So this is our new Friday night dinner item until we get tired of it 😂 We'll just serve it a different way every week. 

Bon Appetit Peeps!

6 comments:

  1. Yum! Those look delicious and so cute! Sounds like something we would love. I like that these don’t fall apart like regular tortillas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good Belinda! I love the boats for the same reason too & they're so easy to fill.

      Delete
  2. I found you!
    Practical Parsimony

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds really delicious!! I think I would serve with taco meat or maybe chicken fajita meat. Thank you for sharing. I hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lori! I want to try it with fajita chicken too. I hope you enjoy it. You too, have a wonderful week!

      Delete

Aldi for the win & Wags grrrrr!

Hi everyone It's been another crazy week! I've had 2 days of back to back errands. Yesterday included the dreaded dentist & erra...